Vocati Socratem
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Philosophia efere epististemosune. Philosophia ferei epististemosune.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mythology: Is it real? Yeti

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rehua
Administrator
Administrator
Rehua

Mythology: Is it real? Yeti Empty
PostSubject: Mythology: Is it real? Yeti   Mythology: Is it real? Yeti Icon_minitime1Mon May 03, 2010 8:55 pm

The Yeti or the Abominable Snowman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeti is a mythological creature that is speculated to live in the Himalayan area in Tibet and Nepal. Scientifically, Yeti remains as a legend, given the lack of evidence, yet it remains one of the most famous creatures in the cryptozoology. (Cryptozoology refers to the search for animals which are considered to be legendary or otherwise nonexistent by mainstream biology.)
Next, I will post a few reports about Yeti I've found around the internet:
BBC News wrote:
Dr Matako Nabuka is a researcher and mountaineer who spent 12 years in Nepal, Tibet and Bhutan conducting, he says, research into the elusive abominable snowman.
Hackles began to rise in Kathmandu earlier this month when Dr Nabuka told a press conference in Tokyo yetis were not mysterious apes or hairy hominids living in the High Himalaya.
They were, quite simply, Himalayan brown bear, known in a regional Tibetan dialect as "meti", he said.
"This has spread too far," said Dr Nabuka, referring to belief in the yeti.
Many claim to have seen it, he said, but no one has proof.
The tribes of the Himalayas worship the brown bear as a deity, Dr Nabuka pointed out, and have endowed it with supernatural powers.
He said he had pictures of bear paws and other artefacts from the animal being venerated by mountain tribes people.

Linguistic dispute

But no sooner had the story hit the Nepali press than local opinion chimed in.
A letter to the editor of the Kathmandu Post headlined "Yetiquette" took Dr Nabuka to task for linguistic carelessness.
Signed by Bha Dawa, the letter says the Japanese researcher may have spent too long in the wrong mountains and had himself mixed up his words.
Both "yeti" and "meti" mean a near-mythical beast, said Mr Dawa.
Dr Nabuka has other opponents.
Dr Raj Kumar Pandey, who like the Japanese scientist researches both yetis and mountain languages, says it is not enough to blame tales of the mysterious beast of the Himalayas on words that rhyme but mean different things.
"Look at all the foreign expeditions that have seen [the yeti]," says Dr Pandey, naming British mountaineering legend, Eric Shipton, Italian super-mountaineer Reinhold Messner and the British Everest expedition leader from 1953, John Hunt.
"We have much more research to do on language and in zoology before we believe statements like this [from Dr Nabuka]."

Japanese rivalry

A very informal straw poll of mountaineers in Kathmandu carried out for BBC News Online at the city's legendary Rum Doodle Bar, a favourite hangout of climbers, found at least three people who claimed to have seen the yeti.
None wanted their names used but all denied vehemently that their claims had anything to do with the amount of locally brewed Everest beer they were drinking.
In the end, it all probably comes down to rivalry between Japanese mountain-climbers.
Dr Nabuka's press conference came just weeks after Japan's most celebrated yeti-hunter, Yoshiteru Takahashi, left his country to make "the definitive attempt" to photograph the beast.
Mr Takahashi claims to have found a yeti cave on the slopes of Dhaulagiri, the world's fifth highest mountain, in western Nepal.
His camera froze in 1994 when he tried to photograph the denizens of the cave, he said in Tokyo before leaving.
This year, he is using nine infrared cameras with motion sensitive shutters, and wrapping them up well against the Himalayan chill.
"We'll get a picture this time," he said, "and then all disbelievers will learn their lessons."

Wikipedia, not all from citations wrote:
In early December 2007, American television presenter Joshua Gates and his team (Destination Truth) reported finding a series of footprints in the Everest region of Nepal resembling descriptions of Yeti. Each of the footprints measured 33 cm (13 in) in length with five toes that measured a total of 25 cm (9.8 in) across. Casts were made of the prints for further research. The footprints were examined by Jeffrey Meldrum of Idaho State University, who believed them to be too morphologically accurate to be fake or man made. Meldrum also stated that they were very similar to a pair of Bigfoot footprints that were found in another area. Then, during the 3rd season mid finale visit to Bhutan, Gates' team found a hair sample on a tree that they took back to have analyzed. After it was tested, it was concluded that the hair belonged to an unknown primate.

The evidence of the existence of the Yeti is not enough to actually prove it existence, nevertheless, it is proof, although most of the proof has been declared void. Therefore, until there is real evidence:
Myth busted!
Back to top Go down
https://vocatrem.forumotion.com
CAPS LOCK
Administrator
Administrator
CAPS LOCK

PostSubject: Re: Mythology: Is it real? Yeti   Mythology: Is it real? Yeti Icon_minitime1Mon May 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Have you ever read this book called the Long Walk?
Back to top Go down
Rehua
Administrator
Administrator
Rehua

PostSubject: Re: Mythology: Is it real? Yeti   Mythology: Is it real? Yeti Icon_minitime1Mon May 03, 2010 9:10 pm

Never heard of it, I'll google it Razz.

EDIT: Read the summary, what is its relationship with the Yeti?
Back to top Go down
CAPS LOCK
Administrator
Administrator
CAPS LOCK

PostSubject: Re: Mythology: Is it real? Yeti   Mythology: Is it real? Yeti Icon_minitime1Mon May 03, 2010 10:51 pm

Rehua wrote:
Never heard of it, I'll google it Razz.

EDIT: Read the summary, what is its relationship with the Yeti?

It's a true story, written by the real guy that was captured, and there's a part in it where he saw a figure in the snow, it was larger than a man, and it was white and fury, but it was standing on two legs
Back to top Go down
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Mythology: Is it real? Yeti   Mythology: Is it real? Yeti Icon_minitime1Tue May 04, 2010 7:33 am

Ahh the Yeti. There is no physical evidence that it is real. Personally, I do not believe a single word that is printed on the internet unless there is evident proof for it's existence. And for video recordings of the Yeti, there is no way to believe that either. Just look at what we can digitally manipulate these days. it is nearly impossible to seperate reality from myth through video evidence. Thus, I will not believe the yeti exists until I see some real proof with my own eyes, but it is also good to be optimistic. There could be a Yeti out there somewhere, just hard to believe it without seeing it through your own eyes. Wink
Back to top Go down
Rehua
Administrator
Administrator
Rehua

PostSubject: Re: Mythology: Is it real? Yeti   Mythology: Is it real? Yeti Icon_minitime1Tue May 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Jake wrote:
Ahh the Yeti. There is no physical evidence that it is real. Personally, I do not believe a single word that is printed on the internet unless there is evident proof for it's existence. And for video recordings of the Yeti, there is no way to believe that either. Just look at what we can digitally manipulate these days. it is nearly impossible to seperate reality from myth through video evidence. Thus, I will not believe the yeti exists until I see some real proof with my own eyes, but it is also good to be optimistic. There could be a Yeti out there somewhere, just hard to believe it without seeing it through your own eyes. Wink
Exactly, because of Photoshop, and all those photoshop-related programs today, it's hard to believe that photos of mythological animals are still real.
Back to top Go down
Abiohazard
Abiohazard

PostSubject: Re: Mythology: Is it real? Yeti   Mythology: Is it real? Yeti Icon_minitime1Sat May 08, 2010 1:26 am

As someone as 1337 as me would say, screenshot or it never happened.
Back to top Go down
DOOKIE
DOOKIE

PostSubject: Re: Mythology: Is it real? Yeti   Mythology: Is it real? Yeti Icon_minitime1Mon May 10, 2010 12:41 am

Haha, Abio.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mythology: Is it real? Yeti   Mythology: Is it real? Yeti Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Mythology: Is it real? Yeti
Page 1 of 1