Vocati Socratem
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Philosophia efere epististemosune. Philosophia ferei epististemosune.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vestigial structures

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Summer of Love
The Summer of Love

Vestigial structures Empty
PostSubject: Vestigial structures   Vestigial structures Icon_minitime1Wed May 05, 2010 10:34 pm

Random thread. Do you think that vestigial structures have a real purpose - or at least used to? For example, the human appendix.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/100percentbored
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Vestigial structures   Vestigial structures Icon_minitime1Thu May 06, 2010 1:41 am

Yes vestigial structures were very useful is the past. Most vestigial structures were evolved over time, so many of these structures were essential for our ancestors and other animals that thrived many centuries ago. And in regards to the appendix, it has something to do with the immune system, although it is not too essential to have and would not worry if it had to be removed. There is no definitive answer on exactly what the appendix does, as i've heard. I just know it's linked to the immune system.
Back to top Go down
CAPS LOCK
Administrator
Administrator
CAPS LOCK

PostSubject: Re: Vestigial structures   Vestigial structures Icon_minitime1Thu May 06, 2010 8:55 pm

The Summer of Love wrote:
Random thread. Do you think that vestigial structures have a real purpose - or at least used to? For example, the human appendix.

Every part of the human body has a purpose, period.

Jake wrote:
Yes vestigial structures were very useful is the past. Most vestigial structures were evolved over time, so many of these structures were essential for our ancestors and other animals that thrived many centuries ago. And in regards to the appendix, it has something to do with the immune system, although it is not too essential to have and would not worry if it had to be removed. There is no definitive answer on exactly what the appendix does, as i've heard. I just know it's linked to the immune system.

The appendix has been proven to be an "emergency" germ killer. Although it get's infected easily, it can be a life saver by killing itself rather than letting a virus get into your body
Back to top Go down
DOOKIE
DOOKIE

PostSubject: Re: Vestigial structures   Vestigial structures Icon_minitime1Fri May 07, 2010 12:53 am

Huh, interesting. I didn't know that, CAPS LOCK.
Back to top Go down
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Vestigial structures   Vestigial structures Icon_minitime1Wed May 12, 2010 6:56 am

Yes but there might be other functions of the appendix, it just has not been found yet. But yes that is one function of the apendix.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vestigial structures   Vestigial structures Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Vestigial structures
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Vocati Socratem :: Science :: Medical/Anatomy-
Jump to: